Understanding Your Rights

If you've been sexually assaulted, you are entitled to protections and resources.

A CARE advocate can accompany you to any appointments, interviews and court proceedings throughout the process. Call (951) 827-6225 or email to reach a CARE advocate.

You have the right to:

Understanding Your Rights

Reporting on Campus

  • To be informed of your right to notify law enforcement, and to be assisted by campus authorities in doing so.
  • To be informed of existing counseling, mental health or student services on and off campus.
  • To be informed of options for changing academic and living situations if requested and reasonably available.
  • Have an advocate and/or support person present during a disciplinary proceeding.
  • To be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.

Following an Assault

  • The right to receive a forensic medical examination free of charge and without completing a police report.
  • Make a police report.
  • Have an advocate present with you during the police interview.
  • Obtain a copy of your police report.
  • Protect your name from public disclosure.
  • Request information about DNA testing of the rape kit evidence and crime scene evidence.
  • A free medical examination to gather evidence.
  • Have an advocate present with you during the medical examination.



During Legal Proceedings

  • Have an advocate present with you during interviews with the district attorney.
  • Have an advocate present with you during interviews with the attorney(s) for the defendant.
  • Be notified of a plea agreement.
  • Get witness fees and mileage reimbursement.
  • Get time off from work to testify.
  • Keep your name, address and telephone number confidential.
  • Attend court proceedings.
  • Have an advocate present with you during court proceedings.
  • Protect information about your sexual history.



Following Legal Proceedings

  • Attend sentencing proceedings.
  • Make a victim impact statement.
  • Get information about the outcome of the case.
  • Be notified of the release, escape, recapture or death of the offender.
  • Be notified of special conditions of the offender's parole.
  • Be notified regarding parole hearings.
  • Attend parole hearings.
  • Have an advocate present with you during parole hearings.

Receiving Restitution

  • Get reimbursement from the California Victim Compensation Board.
  • Receive court-ordered restitution from the offender.
  • Receive civil recovery.